Present and Future Thoughts about the Project

Blog 4: The task for this week was to split up into our groups of (past) and (present) focuses, respectively and come up with a full draft narrative on what the area that Hollins Market encompasses looked like during the past years of its existence and the present years today. Within our groups we were assigned various different roles to complete before class this week. I was assigned to the (past) group focus in which we gathered information on what places like "Black Cherry Puppet Theater" and "City of Gods" (to name a few), in order to paint a vivid narrative on how things have either changed or relatively stayed the same.

I was given the specific task of contributing to the (past) timeline of events and further going into detail on what Hollins Market may have "looked" like. For example, within the timeline, I stated that in 1936, there was a Centennial Parade in Hollins Market that featured all local business establishments, and in 1940, the Market was enclosed for reasons probably mostly due to WW2. One reason I could gather that it might have been enclosed was because the Tax rate on all goods either sold, consumed, or produced was 94%. That means that if you had produced something worth $100, because if the 94% tax rate, you would only get out $6 from that deal made. This is most significant because it probably would cause these local businesses to not be in business for much longer.

I was also given the task of finding pictures for our research project from the (past). I have not made much progress in this but after class this week, I hope to accomplish my goal of finding more pictures to devote to the research project. I was also forwadred the idea of being "the lead for place or personal stories on the project". This is particularly exciting to me because I love setting the bar for how an event will go.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Baltimore City: 1940s Era

Interviews in the Market

Forward Progress in the Course